Quitters are Winners!
May 24, 2022Health Information
- In 2020, 22.3% of the global population used tobacco, 36.7% of all men and 7.8% of the world’s women.
- Tobacco kills up to half of its users.
- Tobacco kills over 8 million individuals yearly and destroys our environment, further harming human health, through the cultivation, production, distribution, consumption, and post-consumer waste.
- More than 7 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 1.2 million are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.
- Over 80% of the world’s 1.3 billion tobacco users live in low- and middle-income countries.
- All forms of tobacco are harmful, and there is no safe level of exposure to tobacco.
- Globally, Cigarette smoking is the most common form of tobacco use.
- Other tobacco products include waterpipe tobacco, various smokeless tobacco products, cigars, cigarillos, roll-your-own tobacco, pipe tobacco, bidis and kreteks.
- The nicotine contained on tobacco products is highly addictive and without cessation support only 4% of users who attempt to quit tobacco use will succeed.
- Professional support and proven cessation medications help in a tobacco user’s chance of successful quitting.
Want to quit tobacco use?
SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!
Source: World Health Organisation