Do you shuffle while walking?
November 15, 2022Health Information
Here are some reasons why older adults shuffle while walking:
- Loss of flexibility in ankle and feet
- Reduced ability to maintain balance
- Poor vision
- Fear of fall
- Weak hips and leg muscles
- Joint pain due to degeneration
- Slow reaction time when unbalanced
- Side effects of medications
- Worn or poorly-fitting shoes or slippers
- Uneven or slippery floors
Any of these could lead to a fall.
According to World Health Organization (WHO),
- Falls are the second leading cause of unintentional injury deaths worldwide.
- About 684 000 individuals die from falls globally, of which over 80% are in low- and middle-income countries every year
- Adults older than 60 years of age suffer the greatest number of fatal falls.
So, why don’t you try and minimize your risk of fall by avoiding poorly-fitting shoes, slippery floors etc? Do well to speak with a physiotherapist!